Re: [PHP3] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison

От Paul DuBois
Тема Re: [PHP3] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison
Дата
Re: [PHP3] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison  (The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>)
Re: [PHP3] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison  (Patrick Greenwell <patrick@stealthgeeks.net>)
Re: [PHP3] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison  (Patrick Greenwell <patrick@stealthgeeks.net>)
Список pgsql-general
At 5:02 PM -0500 10/3/99, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>> Postgres is certainly significantly slower than MySQL according to the
>> MySQL benchmarks
>
>    Is that the benchmarks that are still based on v6.4.2? *raised
>eyebrow*  We saw a significant performance increase when we moved from the
>old 'table locking' to MVCC ...
>
>    Also, please note also that those benchmarks were/are based on
>what MySQL is capable of, not what the other SQL servers are capable of.
>For instance, if I take an SQL query that has been "optimized for MySQL"
>and run it verbatim under PostgreSQL, the difference is a 2sec result for
>MySQL vs 19sec for PostgreSQL ... if I re-write that query for
>PostgreSQL's featuers (namely, using subselects), i can get the query down
>to 1sec *shrug*
>
>    Would be interesting to see us (PostgreSQL) come up with
>benchmarks against MySQL...we'd be able to put stuff like "couldn't
>test under MySQL, since they don't support this SQL construct"...

Well ... why don't you do that?  While you're at it, if you can supply
more recent benchmarks for Postgres to the MySQL people, I doubt if they'd
refuse them.   The benchmark page is meant to be helpful, not misleading
or a propaganda tool for MySQL.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@snake.net